If you’re currently weighing your options in the area of business web hosting, you’ll find there are lots of potential hosting services clamouring for your attention. VPS stands for virtual private server, but is sometimes referred to as virtual dedicated server hosting. Just what is VPS? Basically, it is the ability to sub-section a server so that each section has its own dedicated space and rebooting capabilities. This gives you a part of a large server that is exclusive to your business, without the negatives that come from shared server space or the expense of a wholly dedicated server. Now that we know what VPS is, let’s take a look at 5 reasons why you should consider it as a web hosting solution:
- Growth potential: While today your business may be small, what if growth takes place a lot sooner than expected? For as many overnight success stories there are out there, there are an equal number of stories about crashed servers, traffic delays, and resultant missed business opportunities. Be ready for your success by ensuring your site will remain available and ready for business whenever opportunity knocks!
- Cost Control: Large businesses may need a dedicated server, but they usually have a big budget to go with it. If you’re trying to control costs, (and let’s face it, most businesses today are) you need hosting services that fit your budget while giving you great web hosting services. VPS gives you the benefits of a dedicated server without the accompanying hardware and maintenance costs.
- Security: VPS hosting supplies you with an individual IP address and unique-to-user password protected entries. Firewalls and employee education regarding server access from external computers are additional ways to ensure that the VPS is safe from attacks. With multi-layered protections built into the system, VPS is a safe and secure choice for business hosting.
- Support: Good VPS hosting means you aren’t “going at it alone” in the vast web hosting world. Be sure that your VPS hosting package comes with the support you are looking for, whether it is email support, online chat or phone support. You’ll also want to know when these services are available, since problems don’t usually limit themselves to “office hours”. Choose a hosting service that provides 24/7/365 support to be sure you get help when you need it.
- Control: VPS hosting offers you control over your site’s content and the applications you’re running, from anywhere you need it! By logging into your password protected admin panel, you can upload documents, edit content, run new applications, and thus operate your business anytime, anywhere.
The final point to make about VPS hosting is that the VPS can be set up and maintained on multiple physical servers, which has a tremendous advantage over both dedicated and shared server hosting. If one server goes in to downtime, this does not affect the VPS hosting and the other servers will continue to maintain them. Lately this has been taken on under a new term, ‘Cloud storage’, which is essentially VPS hosting on multiple physical servers!